Sharon Stephens Brehm is Professor of Psychology in the Clinical Science and Social Psychology programs at Indiana University Bloomington. She received her B.A. and Ph.D. from Duke University and an A.M. from Harvard.
After 15 years on the psychology faculty at the University of Kansas, Professor Brehm served as dean of the Harper College of Arts and Sciences at SUNY Binghamton, provost at Ohio University, and chancellor of the Indiana University Bloomington campus. She has also been an Intra-University Professor at the University of Kansas, a Fulbright Senior Research Scholar at the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales, and a visiting professor in Germany and Italy.
In addition, Professor Brehm has served four terms on the Executive Committee of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology (APA Division 8), two terms representing Division 8 on the APA Council of Representatives, and two terms on the APA Finance Committee. She is a Fellow of Division 8; a member of Divisions 1, 2, 7, 9, 12, 35, 52, and 53; a member of the Indiana Psychological Association; and was inducted into the University of Kansas Women’s Hall of Fame.
- Close Relationships
- Gender Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Self and Identity
- Brehm, S. S., Kassin, S. M., & Fein, S. (2005). Social psychology (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Miller, R., Perlman, D., & Brehm, S. S. (2007). Intimate relationships (4th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill.
- Wright, R. A., Greenberg, J., & Brehm, S. S. (Eds.). (2004). Motivational analyses of social behavior: Building on Jack Brehm’s contributions to psychology. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Brehm, S. S. (Ed.). (1988). Seeing female: Social roles and personal lives. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Brehm, S. S., & Brehm, J. W. (1981). Psychological reactance: A theory of freedom and control. New York: Academic Press.
- Brehm, S. S., Kassin, S. M., & Gibbons, F. X. (Eds.). (1981). Developmental social psychology: Theory and research. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Brehm, S. S. (1978). Help for your child: A parent's guide to mental health services. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Brehm, S. S. (1976). The application of social psychology to clinical practice. Washington, DC: Hemisphere.
- Brehm, S. S. (2004). Looking ahead: Some thoughts on the future of psychology. The California Psychologist, 37(5), 22-23.
- Kite, M. E., Russo, N. F., Brehm, S. S., Fouad, N. A., Hall, C. C., Hyde, J. S., & Keita, G. P. (2001). Women psychologists in academe: Mixed progress, unwarranted complacency. American Psychologist, 50, 1080-1098.
- Brehm, S. S. (1991). Women's friendships. Contemporary Psychology, 36, 499-500.
- Brehm, S. S. (1991). Perspectives on cults. Contemporary Psychology, 36, 233-234.
- Gibbons, F. X., Smith, T. W., Ingram, R. E., Pearce, K., Brehm, S. S., & Schroeder, D. J. (1985). Self-awareness and self-confrontation: Effects of self focused attention on members of a clinical population. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 48, 662-675.
- Brehm, S. S. (1985). A social psychological perspective. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 3, 474-483.
- Ingram, R. E., Smith, T. W., & Brehm, S. S. (1983). Depression and information processing: Self-schemata and the encoding of self-referent information. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 45, 412-420.
- Intimate Relationships
- Introductory Psychology
- The Psychology of Women
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Indiana University Bloomington
1101 E. Tenth Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
- Phone: (812) 855-4234
- Fax: (812) 855-4691